The 455th Flying Training Squadron was activated as the 455th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on Aug. 4, 1942, at Columbia Army Air Base, S.C. It deployed to the European theater of operations in World War II and flew B-26 bombers during the war. It was inactivated on Dec. 12, 1945. The unit reactivated in the reserve on June 27, 1949, at Tinker AFB, Okla., as the 455th Bombardment Squadron (Light) flying the T-6, T-11 and B-26. It was inactivated in March 1951. It was redesignated the 455th Fighter-Bomber Squadron and activated on Aug. 8, 1955, at Eielson AFB, Alaska, and then moved to Bunker Hill AFB, Idaho, in November, flying the F-86 and F-100. The unit went inactive again Sept. 1, 1957, but later stood up as the 455th Flying Training Squadron on April 1, 1973, at Mather AFB, Calif., conducting Undergraduate Navigator Training until deactivation in the early 1990s. Among its honors are seven World War II campaign streamers, a Distinguished Unit Citation and four Air Force outstanding Unit Awards. The Squadron was reactivated on Oct. 2, 2009, as the 455th Flying Training Squadron and serves as a tenet unit to the 479th Flying Training Group in NAS Pensacola, Fla.