Naval Air Station Pensacola Logo Commander, Navy Region Southeast  |  Naval Air Station Pensacola
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation

Military Move

Relocating is a fact of life for military personnel and their families.  The topics in this section contain useful information for your next military move - be sure to visit the links to the left.

The following list details the basic entitlements for each type of military move. 

Shore Duty Orders

Shipment of household goods from the current duty station to the new duty station.

An unaccompanied baggage shipment.

Transfer of goods from long-term storage (non-temporary) to the new duty station.

Sea Duty Orders

Shipment of household goods to the new homeport.

An unaccompanied baggage shipment.

Placement of goods in long-term storage (non-temporary) for the length of the tour, or continuation of non-temporary storage.

Transfer of goods from long-term storage (non-temporary) to the new duty station.

Isolated or Arduous Sea Duty Orders

Same as sea duty orders.  In addition, make shipment of HHGs and/or Unaccompanied Baggage to a specific or designated location within the continental United States.

Overseas Duty Orders

Shipment of household goods upon receipt of PCS orders.  Must have 12 months or more remaining after the scheduled arrival of household goods.

An unaccompanied baggage shipment.

Long-term storage (non-temporary) for the length of the tour.

Shipment of household goods and/or unaccompanied baggage to a specific or designated location in the continental United States.

Shipment of a privately owned vehicle, if permitted.  Some overseas areas restrict shipment of privately owned vehicles.  If moving overseas, the personal property counselor will review these restrictions with the member, depending on the member's destination.

Dependent entry approval is required for some overseas locations.  Contact your local Personal Property Office for more information.

Retiring from Service
Members retiring from the service have one year to complete their final move.  If members have less than 18 years of service as of November 1, 1981, their goods may be shipped anywhere within the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii.  Members on retirement orders may request extensions beyond the one year limit for medical, training, educational or other deserving reasons.

Navy Members - when requesting extension of shipment rights, you should contact the nearest Personal Property Office in person or by mail.  You will need your Retirement orders (with accounting date), your DD-214, documentation from school verifying commencement and/or a letter from your doctor showing your hospitalization or treatment, and a letter from service member requesting extension.  Non-temporary storage beyond one year from effective date may be excess cost to you but at the government rate.  Note: You could be liable for all transportation cost arising from making more than one shipment.

Separating from Service
Members separating from the service on a Voluntary Separation with Incentive (VSI) or a Special Separation Bonus (SSB) between December 5, 1991 and September 30, 1999 have the same entitlements as retirees.  Members separating on the transition management program (TAMP) or separating involuntarily between October 1, 1990 and September 30, 1999 have the same entitlements as retirees.

Separation Orders
Members separating from the service have 180 days from the effective date of discharge to move personal property at government expense.  If unsure of where they want to move, local storage of up to 180 days may be requested.
Members living in government quarters, and separating or retiring may move locally out of the quarters (Local Move) and still have their shipping rights within the authorized time limit.

Members separating with other than Honorable Discharge must obtain a letter from their convening authority authorizing their dependents to be moved.

Share This Page