Help the Environment
The Morale, Welfare and Recreation Department (MWR) Qualified Recycling Center features the Navy's first full service drive-thru facility.
A roadside collection area is provided at the entrance to the Recycle Center for the deposit of recyclable's after working hours, 24/7.
The center accepts the following recyclable items (all items must be free of food waste):
- Cardboard (cereal type boxes are OK, no pizza boxes, no waxed containers or peaked beverage containers)
- Aluminum Beverage Cans
- Metal Food Containers - Rinsed
- Newsprint (inserts are OK)
- Office Paper (no carbon paper, no plastic, no cellophane such as windows in envelopes)
- Magazines & Telephone Books
- Glass Bottles & Jars (brown, clear, green; rinsed, no lids)
- Plastic Bottles & Jars (#1 & #2; rinsed, no lids)
- Scrap Metals - Including household appliances
The primary goal is to be self-sufficient through the sale of recyclable items, while reducing solid waste disposal costs. All profit from the sale of recyclable's goes into the MWR fund for the benefit of all authorized MWR patrons.
Examples of items collected in FY09: 278.71 tons of recyclable materials were diverted from area landfills. In addition, 690.36 tons of scrap metals were recycled.
The Recycle Center makes weekly collections from all Kings Bay buildings, tenant commands, and from 665 Navy housing units.
Hours of Operation
- Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Weekends and Federal Holidays: Closed
- Road side collection area is provided at the facility entrance for after working hours and is available 24/7
The facility is located on USS Daniel Webster Road, just past the Strategic Weapons Facility, Atlantic (missile display).
For more information about visit:
If you cannot find the information you need in this section or if you have comments -- good or bad -- about our programs, facilities or service, please call 912-573-2538.
Recycling Saves Money
Did you know? Recycling one glass jar saves enough energy to run one TV for three hours.