Naval Construction Battalion Center Gulfport Logo Commander, Navy Region Southeast  |  Naval Construction Battalion Center Gulfport
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation

Housing for Unaccompanied Personnel

Unaccompanied personnel reporting to NCBC Gulfport have a number of excellent Housing choices. The Housing Service Center (HSC) stands ready to assist you in determining your eligibility and options and in locating acceptable housing. Depending on your assignment status (shore duty, sea duty, student, etc.) and pay grade, your options may include Navy Unaccompanied Housing (UH), dormitories or housing in the local community.


Unaccompanied Housing (UH) is conveniently located near the center of the base on Fifth Street allowing immediate access to the main dining facility, chapel, gym, and fitness center. It's just a short walk away from the Navy Exchange, commissary, McDonalds and the MWR Liberty Center.

Here at NCBC Gulfport, Unaccompanied Housing serves service members in seven buildings:

   • Buildings 306, 309 and 316 provide permanent party accommodations for eligible unaccompanied personnel.

   • Buildings 315 and 460 provide accommodations for personnel temporarily assigned duty under instruction to the Naval Construction Training Center.

There are many advantages to living on base for Single Sailors:

  • Safe
  • Secure
  • Close to work
  • Centrally located
  • Off Street parking
  • Utility bills included
  • Free laundry facilities
  • Vending / Recreational Area
  • Close to NEX, Commissary, Galley, Gym & Pool

As an added convenience to residents, there are lounges equipped with televisions and vending machines. Cable television, high speed internet as well as land line phone service available to all permanent party residents at the residents expense.

All unaccompanied personnel reporting to NCBC Gulfport, tenant commands and attached units must check-in at the front desk located at building 309 on Firth Street. 

Most personnel in pay grades E1 - E4 are required to occupy Unaccompanied Housing.  E4 personnel are authorized to request Single BAH through their chain of command with the NCBC Gulfport Commanding Officer as the final approver, delegated to the base Housing Installation Program Director, when the occupancy percentage of the Unaccompanied Housing facility exceeds 95% occupancy. 

E4 personnel requesting single BAH will be placed on a waiting list if the occupancy percentage of Unaccompanied Housing is below 95%.  More senior personnel, E5 and above, may under certain circumstances be eligible for resident in Unaccompanied Housing. E1 - E4 personnel who receive BAH at the with dependent rate, are considered Geographical Bachelors and will be housed on a space available basis as outlined below.

Resident Advisors (RA) are personnel who provide a senior leadership presence while mentoring and counseling junior sailors residing in UH.  RAs sign a memorandum of understanding, agreeing to certain duties and responsibilities in exchange for a room in UH.  The program is strictly voluntary and open to personnel in pay grades E6 to E9 (E4 with Commanding Officer’s recommendation) including Geographical Bachelors.  For more information regarding the RA program and to request an application, please contact the UH Manager at 228-871-3853, DSN: 868.

Geographical Bachelors (GB) are E1 - E9 personnel ordered to Gulfport who, by choice or circumstance, have decided that their dependents will continue to reside in another geographical location, normally in excess of a one-way one and one-half hour commuting distance of the members permanent duty station.  GBs are receiving BAH at the with dependent rate.  These personnel are not authorized to reside in UH; however, we do have a limited number of spaces available for GBs.  GBs must submit an application that will be reviewed by the Assignment Review Board.  If approved, the GB will be placed on a waiting list and offered UH when space becomes available.  GBs may also apply for the RA program.  For more information regarding the GB program and to obtain an application, please contact the UH Manager at 228-871-3853, DSN: 868.

Community Housing

The local community offers a full range of housing options for rent or for purchase. Be sure to check in with us at the HSC for all of the latest information, listings and assistance. All unaccompanied personnel contemplating living off base should make the Housing Service Center (HSC) their first stop. The HSC is ready to help all unaccompanied personnel that are authorized to receive BAH to find a home out in town. We maintain listings affordable for single personnel and also offer help with finding a roommate. We will also help you review a lease and in some cases we can offer favorable rents and security deposit agreements. We also can provide support to mediate disputes with landlords or roommates if needed.

Local apartments in the area are generally available, affordable and convenient to the installation. One of the best ways to increase affordability is to share an apartment or house. Our HSC staff can help with tips on how to make your house sharing experience a pleasant one.

Other important information:

When living in the community, you will be able to draw Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).

If you are interested in purchasing property, the Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC) provides information and classes on home buying.

If you would like additional information, please visit our contact page

Share This Page