Naval Construction Battalion Center Gulfport Logo Commander, Navy Region Southeast  |  Naval Construction Battalion Center Gulfport
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation

Move Preparation


Here are some important steps to take:

Request a sponsor. Have your present command request a sponsor for you, especially if you are coming from "A" school. A sponsor is a vital link to your move, he/she can send you specific information about the area, and even pick you up from the airport upon your arrival!

Gather important telephone numbers that will be needed at your next duty station, such as your sponsor's home/work number, your new command, base information, etc.

Call household goods 1-800-342-3525 or 228-871-3000 for an appointment with a counselor to arrange for shipment of personal property.

Notify your landlord, rental agent, or Housing Office of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders. Give written notification if there is a military clause in your lease.

Begin a calendar for your move. Set timelines to help organize yourself. Include items to remember: housing availability, school records for children, ID cards, change of address card, temporary lodging, etc.

Start budgeting for your move. Call your Finance Office or Personnel Service Detachment (PSD) to discuss your travel pay options. Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) is authorized to partially offset the added living expenses incurred within CONUS when it is necessary for the member and/or dependents to occupy temporary lodging due to permanent change of station (PCS). TLE is payable for temporary lodging occupied in the old and new permanent duty stations, with a limit of a combined total of ten days.

Gather documents. The following is a list of documents or files you should have available. If you don't have the items, now is the time to locate and secure them for future reference. You may find it helpful to make a copy of all your documents, including your driver's license and credit cards.

  • Copies of Orders
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Birth Certificate(s)
  • Immunization Records
  • Citizenship Papers
  • Adoption Papers
  • Divorce Papers
  • Armed Forces ID
  • Insurance Cards
  • Leave and Earning Statement
  • Power of Attorney
  • Personal Will
  • Bank Books (Checking and Savings)
  • Stock or Bond Records
  • State and Federal Records
  • Car Registration and Title
  • Credit Card Records
  • Social Security Cards
  • Transportation and Shipping Documents
  • Storage Documents
  • Voter Registration Information
  • Emergency Data Information
  • School Records/Transcripts

Make travel arrangements. If you will be traveling by plane, train or automobile, make travel arrangements to include: date, time of departure, auto-map, trip-tips etc.

Emergencies on the Road
Unfortunately, emergencies can and do happen no matter how well you planned for your move. Having important information with you can help ease the frustration of an emergency. First, make sure you always have a set of orders with you when you travel, in fact it is a good idea to have several sets of orders. Keep your new command's phone number and your sponsor's number with you. Have extra cash and credit cards, having an ATM card is also a good idea. You also need to travel with car insurance information.

If you are in route to your new command, and an emergency does come up, try to find the nearest military installation for assistance. Also, the Red Cross is always available for assistance 24 hours a day. You can get the nearest Chapter's phone number in the White Pages.

You may wish to join a motor club prior to leaving your losing command; they can assist with roadside emergency services and towing.

If emergency funds are needed in route or once you arrive, Navy-Marine Corps Relief, Army Emergency Relief, Air Force Aid, and the Red Cross can provide such funds through loans on a case-by-case basis. You may ask for Navy Marine Corps Relief Assistance at any of these agencies. Keep in mind these funds are usually granted for emergency purposes only. To assist in evaluating your needs, bring your ID card, leave papers, orders, LES, and any other useful information such as dental estimates, medical bills, funeral bills, or vehicle repair estimates which will help the counselor to make a decision regarding the types of aid for which you are applying.

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society

The Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society is a nonprofit charitable organization designed to provide financial, educational, and other assistance to members, both active and retired, of the Naval Services of the United States, eligible family members and survivors, when in need. Appointments are recommended. For assistance when this office is open, call (228) 871-2610. Clients seeking NMCRS assistance after duty hours should contact the American Red Cross toll free 877-272-7337.

While every move is unique, these tips can give you a great start to completing a successful PCS move to the Gulfport MS. area.

Share This Page