Naval Station Guantanamo Bay is the forward, ready, and irreplaceable U.S. sea power platform in the Caribbean. We host and enable all branches of the U.S. military, plus several interagency and international partner organizations. We also provide an exceptional quality of life for our residents: Benefits for Naval Station Guantanamo Bay civilian employees and their families include no-cost housing and utilities, plus access to most amenities and conveniences you would find on other military installations, including a Commissary, Navy Exchange, furniture store, gas station, hospital, dry cleaners, bowling alley, library, and sports complex. We have college courses available and a combined school for pre-K through 12th grade, as well as two Child Development Centers and a Youth Center.
Pets (with some restrictions) may accompany Station employees, and accompanied employees may ship most household goods and a personal vehicle to NSGB at no costs to themselves.
Other benefits include:
- Family housing comes with major appliances
- Access to on-base Department of Defense school and activity centers for teens and youth
- Employment opportunities for accompanying family members
- Very short commutes from housing to work sites, and free public transportation
- Cell phone and Internet service with speeds comparable to Continental U.S. locations
- One Funded Environmental and Morale Trip every two years based on eligibility, and two Unfunded (but low-cost) Space Available trips per year, based on eligibility
- Weekly flights to the U.S. and Jamaica, both ‘Space Available’ military flights and chartered flights
- Free or inexpensive recreation like scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, bowling, boating, and beach activities
- Free 24-hour Fitness Center
- Free nightly movie showings of first-run movies.
Living and working at NSGB is not, however, for everyone. There is no access from base to the rest of Cuba, and transiting on and off base (via air only) may be difficult at certain times, and getting a seat on a particular flight is not always guaranteed. The weather is hot or warm all year long, with little change in seasons. While there is an on-base hospital, those with medical conditions requiring frequent visits or treatment may not find their particular services available. Mail and package delivery also takes longer than at Continental United States locations. Security considerations can impact photography and other hobbies. And, owing to the location and challenges of delivery, grocery, dining, and shopping activities are fewer than those found in larger and less isolated places.
Life as a civilian employee at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay offers adventure, challenge, and opportunity unequaled in any other locale. Check usajobs (keyword “Guantanamo” ) for current job opportunities.