The "Fighting Saints" of VFC-13 can trace their origins back to 1946, when VF-753 was commissioned flying F6F-5 "Hellcats." Today's squadron was formed on Sept. 1, 1973, at N.A.S. New Orleans during the reorganization of the U.S. Naval Reserve.
Initially, the squadron operated the Chance Vought F-8H "Crusader" with a complement of 17 officers and 127 enlisted men, former members of VSF-76 and VSF-86. In April 1974, the "Saints" made the transition to the single-seat A-4L "Skyhawk."
As the demand for west coast adversary services and other fleet support missions increased, the squadron was permanently transferred to N.A.S. Miramar, arriving there in February 1976. That summer, a transition was made from the A-4L to the more reliable two-seat TA-4J. The year 1983 marked the return of the single seat aircraft to VFC-13 and the arrival of the A-4E.
October 1993 marked the end of an era when VFC-13 made the transition to the single-seat, two engine F/A-18 "Hornet." This change further enhanced the squadron's ability to perform its adversary mission by providing an even more capable and realistic threat aircraft. In April 1996, the command relocated to N.A.S. Fallon and made the transition to the F-5E/F Tiger II, supported by McDonnell Douglas contract maintenance.
The "Fighting Saints" provide a formidable dissimilar adversary threat. In recognition of that primary mission assignment, VC-13 was proudly redesignated as Fighter Squadron Composite Thirteen (VFC-13) April 22, 1988.
VFC-13 provides the highest quality adversary training for regular Navy fleet and replacement squadrons and air wings, reserve fighter and attack squadrons, U.S.A.F. and U.S.M.C. units, and Canadian forces. The Fighting Saints have received three consecutive CNO Safety Awards, three Wing Golden Wrench Maintenance Awards, and in 1994 and 2011, the Battle "E" Efficiency Award.