Battery Shop Disposal Areas
From the mid 1940s until 1955, the former base Battery Shop discharged approximate 2,000 gallons of waste electrolyte from lead acid batteries down the floor drains which discharged to a septic tank. The waste acid was neutralized with ammonium hydroxide, and diluted with water prior to disposal, although deteriorated concrete around the drains indicates that the acid may not have been completely neutralized. The exact location and composition of the septic tank is unknown, therefore the potential for seepage of battery electrolyte into the soil is possible. In 1955, the Battery Shop was moved to an adjacent building, where an unlined sump was used until 1983 to dispose of approximately 4,000 gallons of neutralized waste battery electrolyte. In 1960, the neutralizing agent for the battery acid was changed to baking soda. A Site Inspection to evaluate the possibility of contamination at the disposal area, including soil sampling and analysis for pH and lead, is currently underway.
|Size||Less than 0.01 acre|
|Location (see map)||Public Works Area, 1,200 feet southwest of Main Gate|
|Contamination Source||Lead battery disposal preparations|
|Potential Waste Types||Lead|
|Est. Response Complete||TBD following Site Inspection|