Dunnage Disposal Sites
IRP Site 34 was initially comprised of five separate dunnage disposal areas, Sites 34a through 34e. The term dunnage refers to discarded debris, often initially used to protect ordnance items during shipment. The sites were in use from 1942-1978. Two of the areas, Sites 34a and 34c, were transferred to the Munitions Response Program (as Sites UXO 3 and UXO 4) due to the potential presence of discarded munitions at those sites. A Site Inspection was completed for the other three sites in 2010, and Site 34e was closed due to no contamination being found. Elevated concentrations of some metals were observed at the remaining two sites (Sites 34b and 34d), and Remedial Inspection is currently underway.
|Size||11.5 total acres in two sub-sites|
|Location (see map)||Multiple locations|
|Contamination Source||Munitions shipping operations|
|Potential Waste Types||VOCs, SVOCs, metals, explosives, perchlorates|
|Status||Remedial Investigation (RI)|
|Est. Response Complete||TBD pending completion of the RI|