Salvage Yard Burial Area
Located in the northeast corner of the installation, MRP Site UXO5 encompasses approximately 13 acres east of Javelin Road, 1,780 feet from the boundary of the installation. From 1952 through 1960, a two-acre area was used to dispose of munitions-related waste, including inert materials and MECs. In the mid-1960s, two pounds of partially filled cans of smokeless powder were reportedly discarded at the site. In the late 1980s, an on-site survey found practice shapes, electronic test equipment, empty powder cans, metal banding and tires. In February 2002, a brush fire exposed buried munitions in the area and in that same month, explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) responded to handle suspected MECs found on the surface. In 2004 and 2005 visual surveys resulted in additional MECs, several smokeless powder cans and lids, and other munitions scrap being discovered. A Time-critical Removal Action was completed in February 2012 at this site in response to the MECs confirmed during the Site Inspection. A Remedial Investigation is currently underway, and a Feasibility Study is also being prepared to evaluate the remedial alternatives for mitigating any hazards and contamination associated with the site.
|Location (see map)||Northeast corner of installation|
|Contamination Source||Land Disposal|
|Potential Waste Types||Munitions constituents, munitions and explosives of concern|
|Status||Remedial Investigation / Feasibility Study|
|Est. Response Complete||To be determined|