SANTA RITA, Guam (Aug. 27, 2020) – Effective Saturday, Aug. 29, Navy Exchange (NEX) Guam will adjust their hours of operation due to COVID-19 exposure.
Store hours for the NEX Main Store and the NEX II Home Center will be modified until further notice to allow staff additional time each day to disinfect, deep clean, and restock store shelves to ensure the health and safety of all customers.
· NEX Main Store, Open Daily from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
· NEX II Home Center, Open Daily from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
In the past week, 7 NEX Guam employees tested positive for COVID-19. Contact tracing indicates they were not exposed via fellow employees and NEX customers have not been identified as close contacts. A close contact is an individual who has come in face-to-face contact with a confirmed COVID-19 individual for at least 10 minutes or more and within six feet, or who has had direct contact with infectious secretions of the confirmed COVID-19 individual (e.g. being coughed on).
Employees will not be permitted to return to work until cleared by medical providers. Areas of the NEX have been identified for cleaning and disinfecting and will be off limits to personnel until those processes are complete.
“As COVID-19 continues to impact our community, our NEX Guam family has not gone unaffected,” said NEX General Manager Lisa Ballejo. “NEX Guam works hard daily to protect the health and safety of our employees and our customers. I have faith in our strong sanitization program, plexiglass shields, social distancing, and employee and vendor mask program. We have developed direct and targeted communication to keep employees informed on best practices while at work and outside of work, in addition to the requirements set forth by the installation commander.”
NBG is currently in Health Protection Condition Charlie (HPCON C). NBG personnel and patrons are strongly urged to follow all mitigation measures and current mandates set forth as part of an aggressive campaign to prevent the community spread of COVID-19.
In recent months, NEX stores have increased the frequency of cleaning and the deployment of antibacterial hand sanitizers. Additionally, the NEX has already implemented mandatory pre-screening measures to include hand-washing stations and several wellness questions, prior to entering the store.
As part of HPCON C measures, NEX has also closed off non-essential areas in the store to include the beauty and barber shop, fine jewelry, flower shop, and fitting rooms.
“At NBG, we’re committed to helping the families and communities we serve and the employees we work with,” said NBG Acting Commanding Officer Capt. Hans Sholley. “We’ve taken a number of steps throughout all of our installation services in support of our team and patrons with increased safety measures and operational changes. While the emergence of COVID-19 is an evolving situation with many unknowns, we are sure of one thing - we’ll continue to do all we can to help navigate these uncertain times and help slow the spread of the virus by working together. We ask everyone to continue to do their part.”
All other NEX Guam store hours are as follows:
Apra Mini Mart
Mon. to Sat., 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Sun., 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Car Care Center
Mon. to Sat., 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Retail Store)
Mon. to Sat., 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Service)
NCTS Mini Mart
Mon. to Sat., 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Sun., 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
NCTS Gas Station
Sun. to Sat., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Naval Hospital Mini Mart/Package Store
Open daily, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Mon. to Fri., 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (Package Store)
Sat. to Sun., 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. (Package Store)
Naval Hospital Gas Station
Open daily, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Mon. to Fri., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Service)
Polaris Point Mini Mart
Mon. to Fri., 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sat., 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
NBG Mini Mart/Gas Station
Open daily, 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Barber/Beauty Shop (Main Store)
Barber/Beauty Shop (NCTS)
Open by appt. only, contact 564-3193
Open daily, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Open daily, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Mon. to Sat., 8:00 a.m. to 3 p.m.
NEX Food Court/Subway
Sun., 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. (NEX Food Court – Carry out/Domino’s - Delivery)
Mon. to Sat., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. (NEX Food Court – Carry out/Domino’s - Delivery)
Open daily, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (Subway – Carry out/Delivery)
At this time, base access for all authorized patrons has not changed. All valid ID card holders including, retirees and their dependents, and Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC) holders are able to access NBG installations every day of the week.
All patrons must adhere to the following policies and procedures:
- If you are Sick - Stay Home! Patrons who are experiencing flu-like symptoms will not be permitted access to NBG Installations or NEX and Orote Commissary facilities. These patrons should stay at home or otherwise isolate themselves and telephonically contact appropriate medical authority.
- The use of face coverings is mandatory when entering NBG installations and all on-base facilities to include the NEX and Orote Commissary. Those who are NOT wearing a face covering will NOT be allowed entry into any NBG facilities.
- While inside NEX, Orote Commissary and NBG facilities, and while waiting to enter these facilities, all patrons must adhere to strict social distancing practices and remain no less than six feet away from all other persons to the greatest extent possible.
- The parking lot for the Orote Commissary will only be open when the store opens. Patrons are advised to abide by all posted traffic signs and markings. Patrons are advised to NOT move or drive around traffic cones and barriers. Patrons shall NOT enter the parking lot until Security opens it.
- The number of personnel shopping per family should be minimized to the maximum extent possible. Wherever feasible, it is strongly recommended that children should not accompany shoppers. If children do accompany shoppers, parents must ensure children maximize social distancing and prevent unnecessary interactions with other patrons.
- To preserve inventory of critical public health supplies, the Commissary and NEX may limit the purchase of certain high-demand items for patrons.
- To ensure equitable distribution of commercial products, NEX and Commissary will continue to limit patrons to one (1) shopping cart per family. Additionally, patrons are prohibited from making purchases which are excessive or unreasonably disproportionate in volume. Excessive purchasing of all products will be monitored and enforced. There will be no restock of cleaning/sanitation supplies during the day.
- Social Gatherings Limits: Outdoor social gatherings onboard NBG are authorized. However, outdoor social gatherings must adhere to social distancing and cloth face covering protocols, and must NOT exceed ten (10) persons. Indoor social gatherings onboard NBG, for those who do not share the same residence or dwelling unit, are prohibited.
- Prohibition on Organized Sports: Organized competitions, team sports, tournaments, and leagues are not authorized, indoor or outdoor, onboard NBG.
NBG, in consultation with public health authorities, will continue to evaluate and make changes to NBG policies, as required, to ensure a proper balance between public health and mission readiness. All persons are encouraged to monitor NBG social media for updates.