There are many travel options available to individuals living or working on Naval District Washington installations.
This webpage provides information about travel choices for commuting as well as local business travel.
Official Business Transportation
The Navy/DoD provide shuttle bus service for inter-base travel throughout the National Capital Region.
For information about shuttles servicing the Pentagon and other DoD installations please visit: http://www.whs.mil/FSD/Info/DoDTransportation.cfm
(*Note: a CAC card is needed to access the shuttle schedule).
- Department of Defense National Capital Region Mass Transit Benefit Subsidy: Federal employees are eligible to receive a FREE transit benefit of up to $245 per month for public transportation and vanpools.
- Guaranteed Ride Home: Everyone who commutes via an alternative mode is eligible for the FREE Guaranteed Ride Home Program
- DC Circulator
- METRO Bus and Train Service
- Virginia Railway Express (VRE)
- MARC Train (Maryland Rail Commuter Service)
WMATA's complete list of registered DC area vanpool providers
Commuter Connections: D.C. Region Ridesharing Program
NuRide – A private ridesharing resource that provides rewards for responsible commuting.
Slugging – an unofficial “casual” carpooling system that connects the Navy Yard to the I-95 corridor in VA.
Navy Yard Slug-Line Webpage
Navy Yard electronic slug-line “eSLUG” (Yahoo list-serve): The majority of “eSLUG” users travel between the Horner Road Park and Ride lot in Woodbridge and the Navy Yard.
Commuter Bus Service
- Dillon's Bus Service, Inc.
- Keller Transportation, Inc
- Martz Group Va
- PRTC/OmniRide Bus Service from Prince William County
- PRTC/OMNIRIDE Dale City – Washington Navy Yard Route
Capital Bikeshare has more than 1,100 bicycles available in Washington, D.C. and Arlington
If you use any type of alternative transportation for your commute, make sure to sign up for the Guaranteed Ride Home program. It's free and is great insurance that you'll never get stuck at work.