Naval Air Station Patuxent River Logo Commandant, Naval District Washington  |  Naval Air Station Patuxent River
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation

ID Cards, DEERS, Rapids

Office Hours:
Bldg 409 - 7 a.m. to 3:10 p.m. weekdays
Gate 1 - 6 a.m. to 5:40 p.m.

This office handles all DEERS updates, and issues Common Access Cards (CACs) and dependent and retiree ID cards.

Walk-in sign ups can be modified to end sooner if maximum capacity is reached in the waiting area. Appointments can only be made online at: Customers with confirmed appointments are seen before all walk-in customers, who are then seen in order of sign in. If you have a confirmed appointment, and cannot make it for any reason, you will need to cancel it through that website.

Appointment Information

If you have a confirmed appointment, please arrive before you scheduled time. If you arrive more than 5 minutes late, you will forfeit your time slot and be placed on the walk-in customer status. The wait times will vary depending on the number of customers waiting before you, and also on the type of service and processing times for each customer. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Maximum Capacity/System Outages

Please keep in mind that this office can adjust the sign in times for walk-in customers due to reaching maximum capacity, which is when there is a high volume of customers waiting to be seen and the expected processing times. There may also be instances of office closures with little to no notice due to system outages. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Required Documents

All customers needing a CAC or ID card issued to them are required to bring in two valid form of identification, preferably a federal, state, or local government ID, a driver’s license, a valid passport, a birth certificate, or social security card. This requirement includes all dependent and retiree ID cards. If the sponsor cannot be present with their dependents during the issue of their ID cards, a verified or notarized original copy of the DD Form 1172 is required. A general power of attorney is also acceptable.


All DOD Contractors must have their personnel status added to DEERS through their respective Trusted Agent (TA) of their sponsoring organization, via the Contractor Verification System (CVS), before a CAC card can be issued. There is a verification and application approval process that needs to be completed through the TA before the personnel record is added/updated. Please contact your TA if you have further questions.

Full-Time Students

If you are requesting extended eligibility for a family member age 21 and older, but under age 23, and is a full-time student at an accredited institution, a letter is needed from the school’s registrar’s office. This letter should state that he/she is a full-time student, and also an expected graduation date. If an expected graduation date is not provided, then the date listed on the letter will be used. This letter will also be needed during the issuance of the ID card, if the dependent is getting it issued at another facility, or at a later time. An acceptable document can also be downloaded from for a small fee. Please note that some schools on this website do not place an expected graduation date on their documents.

Adding/Removing Family Members

Sponsors needing to add new family members or remove current family members are required to bring the following documents:

  • For a new spouse – the marriage certificate, driver’s license or other photo ID, a birth certificate, and social security card are needed. Please note that if the name is not yet updated on the social security card, the current name on the card will be used. New ID cards can be reissued once the social security card is updated with the new last name.
  • For a new child – the birth certificate or proof of birth letter, and social security card is needed. If no social security card has been issued yet, a temporary ID number will be assigned to the child. The sponsor will have 90 days to provide the actual social security card to any DEERS office. Failure to do so will result in a Direct Care suspension through TRICARE.
  • To remove a spouse – the divorce decree is needed to remove them from the sponsor’s record.
  • Sponsors requesting to add their parents/parents-in-law, stepparents and parents-by-adoption, must contact the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) for their respective service branch, as follows:
    • US Navy: DFAS-CL/PMMACB, Dependency Claims Branch, 1240 E. Ninth Street, Cleveland, OH 44199-5500, telephone (216) 522-5567.
    • US Air Force: DFAS-PMJPD/DE, 6760 East Irvington Place, Denver, CO 80279, telephone (303) 676-7907.
    • US Army: DFAS-IN, Attn: Director of Military Personnel, Special Assistance Division, Dependency/Garnishment, 8899 East 56th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46249-0855.
    • US Marine Corps: (refer to AFI 36-3026 IP, also known as MCO 5512.11D, page 172).
    • US Coast Guard: (refer to AFI 36-3026 IP, pages 177-178). 

Locked CAC/Pin Reset

If your CAC has been locked as a result of too many invalid attempts, or you have forgotten your PIN, there are workstations you may use to reset your own PIN without having to go to a RAPIDS workstation. Each Service supplies its own CAC PIN Reset workstations, therefore you will need to contact your Service point of contact below to locate the workstation nearest you:

  • Air Force PKI Office – (210) 925-9145
  • Army CAC PKI Helpdesk – (866) 738-3222
  • Coast Guard CAC Office – (202) 475-5400
  • Marine Corps CAC/PKI Office – (703) 784-2750
  • Navy CAC/PKI Office – (850) 452-7705 


A complete listing of all CAC/ID card issuing facilities can be found at the following website:

DEERS Support Office

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the DEERS Support Office at (800) 538-9552. They can also verify statuses and change/update DEERS information. 

Customer Service Surveys

Electronic surveys for all CAC/ID Card Offices are available through the following Interactive Customer Evaluation (ICE) website:

Share This Page