NAVAL AIR STATION PATUXENT RIVER, Md. – In accordance with the requirements of the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA), Naval Air Station (NAS) Patuxent River invites public comment on the Non-Time-Critical Removal Action (NTCRA) at Environmental Restoration (ER) Program Site UXO- 001 — Historic Munitions Disposal Area. Public comment begins on Feb. 14, 2018 and closes on March 16, 2018. The objective of the NTCRA at Site UXO-001 is to address potential munitions and explosives of concern (MEC) at the private beach (Cedar Cove Association) located adjacent to NAS Patuxent River.
The Navy has prepared an Engineering Evaluation/Cost Analysis (EE/CA) for the NTCRA to address environmental concerns at Site UXO-001. The Navy intends to remediate Site UXO-001 by removing surface and subsurface MEC and Material Potentially Presenting an Explosive Hazard (MPPEH).
The public is encouraged to comment on this EE/CA. The NTCRA for Site UXO-001 will be implemented only after the public comment period has ended. An alternative removal action may be selected only after all comments have been received from the public. The EE/CA and all other relevant environmental documents for Site UXO-001 are available for review at either of the following repositories:
- Naval Air Station Patuxent River Library 22269 Cedar Point Road, Building 407 Patuxent River, MD 20629 (301) 342-1927
Hours: Monday-Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Closed Saturday and Sunday
- St. Mary’s County Public Library, Lexington Park Branch 21677 FDR Boulevard Lexington Park, MD 20653 (301) 863-8188
Hours: Monday-Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Sunday: 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Comments may be written and mailed (postmarked by the closing date of March 16, 2018) to any of the following points of contact:
- Naval Air Station Patuxent River Public Affairs Officer Attn: Patrick Gordon 22268 Cedar Point Road PAO Building 409, Room 211 Patuxent River, MD 20670-1154
- U.S. EPA Region III Attn: Mr. S. Andrew Sochanski Hazardous Site Cleanup Division 3HS11 1650 Arch Street Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
- Maryland Department of the Environment Attn: Mr. Rick Grills Federal Facilities Division Hazardous Waste Program 1800 Washington Boulevard, Suite 645 Baltimore, MD 21230-1719
For further information, contact the Public Affairs Officer at 301-757-3343 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays.