NSF Naval Observatory

The U.S. Naval Observatory is one of the oldest scientific agencies in the country. It was established in 1830 as the Depot of Charts and Instruments. Its primary mission was to care for the U.S. Navy's chronometers, charts and other navigational equipment.

In 1844, as its mission evolved and expanded, the Depot was reestablished as the U.S. Naval Observatory and was located on a hill north of where the Lincoln Memorial now stands in Washington's Foggy Bottom district. For nearly 50 years the Observatory remained at the Foggy Bottom location. During these years significant scientific studies were carried out such as speed of light measurements, the phenomena of solar eclipses and transit of Venus expeditions. The astronomical and nautical almanacs were started in 1855. In 1877, while working for the Naval Observatory, astronomer Asaph Hall discovered the two satellites of Mars.

However, by the 1890's, it was clear that the Naval Observatory had to move out of the city. Unhealthy conditions in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood had taken their toll. In 1893, after nearly 50 years at the site on the Potomac River, the U.S. Naval Observatory moved to its present location in the hilly terrain north of Georgetown. At that time, this rural site was well outside the city in the countryside above Georgetown. The move not only provided better astronomical observing conditions, but also provided an opportunity to rethink old scientific programs and propose new ones. Along with the new programs such as daily monitoring of solar activity, the old functions of time keeping and telescopic observations were kept intact when the Observatory moved to the new site. The old Observatory in Foggy Bottom was declared a National Historic landmark in 1966 and is the current home of the Navy's Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (BUMED).

Today, the U.S. Naval Observatory is the preeminent authority in the areas of time keeping and celestial observing; determining and distributing the timing and astronomical data required for accurate navigation and fundamental astronomy.

Since 1974, it is also the official residence of the Vice President of the United States. 

Stay connected on Social Media:

Facebook 

Share This Page

This is an Official US Navy Website
Switch to Full Site
Switch to Mobile Site